Total Pageviews

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Painting People with the Idea of #YouCanLearnAnything

Today in class we earned about the idea of not being naturally good at something, or having a bit of talent, but working and practicing at it to become better.  This can really relate to anything in life, classes of all types, jobs, the list goes on and on.

I decided to relate this idea to something I've been working on lately.

I'm not really good at art like some people are, I think that I'm decent and that I have potential, but I do have to work harder at it. I've been interested in drawing and/or painting people lately.  I want to get better at this.  So I took what I knew, and researched different ways to display proportions, and different techniques to draw people.  I then took this research and tried a few basic sketches.

Here is what I came up with.









(About 1-2 months ago)

I then began working with pencils because I realized that it is very easy to make a mistake when drawing people and I wanted to keep the option of erasing open. I also by this point found a technique that I liked to work with.

Here is my pencil drawings, and the ones I did just before.







(From first to last)

I wanted to try painting people this time, I found a picture online that I liked, and I worked on it for a few days.  I worked on the shading a lot, and I tried to get the body shapes right.  It took me a few days to complete it.  I did it on a very small scale, so it was kind of tricky to do certain parts, I want to try doing the same painting on a bigger canvas later.

Here is what I have so far.




As you can see I don't have any faces, I tried with one but it was to small to make them look good, which is actually the main reason I want to try it on a bigger scale next time.

But in the mean time, I have decided to try working on face so I can be come more familiar with them.

Here is what I have so far.





Anyways, relating this back to what we learned today, I defiantly think that if someone keeps working at something it can help expand that persons knowledge, understanding, and skill of the thing they want to learn more about.

This is just one example of it, I know there are many more in my life and in everyone's lives actually.

If I would've just stuck with my original skill level, I never would have gotten any better, you do have to learn from your mistakes to make neurological connections and improve the outcome of your work.

If you find yourself stuck in a fixed mindset, you have to find some way to break free of it.  Whether you try really hard to push yourself out or it by believing you can do better, or by finding something that your really passionate about to help you escape mindset you've become accustomed to.

Good things come to people who work with what they have, people who don't take take there abilities for granted, and people who try and improve upon there skills.  All in all, by doing this they will they will be helping themselves out in life.  These videos really show that anyone can do anything, some might have to work harder than others at it, but the ones who work harder are the ones who benefit more in the end.

I would consider myself to have a growth mindset, so I can't really say much for people who don't.  Whenever I struggle, I push through it and try to understand everything to the best of my ability. It's been working out for me pretty good, and I think it can work for everyone, as long as people do not allow there failures to break them, but make them stronger. This will result in a new way of thinking, that will let everyone have a growth mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment